Final Chapter



Making the most of the last week

Dear All,

Writing this Monday morning before painting with a fellow student, Yan, who has invited me to her home for the morning. I also thought you would like to see some practice pieces from last week.



As you know, on Friday, I went to the ‘Warhol Unlimited’ exhibition (recommended by my art professor) at the Musée d’Art Moderne. I went with a couple of girls from my course, Juliette and Yan. We spent an hour and a half in the exhibition and two hours chatting in the museum café. It was good to discuss Warhol’s work/the exhibition, which we all agreed is very formulaic, albeit initially a clever concept. I found it interesting to find out more about Warhol as a character, as well as his life - his success being down to his reputation, acquaintances, position in the social scene of the time ... versus his talent.


There was torrential rain on Friday and then on Saturday, but I managed to see a few galleries and boutiques (buying my much-needed/long-debated navy loafers), before then meeting my friend Susanna to participate in a 'healing meditation for peace' at Rasa Yoga. It was very therapeutic, with beautifully calming Indian-style music played throughout.





Susanna and I then met for mass on Sunday, at St Etienne du Mont, just near the Panthéon. It is a beautiful church, particularly as it is built in light cream coloured stone with colourful, transparent stained glass windows, which let in the light - and yesterday was a beautiful blue sky day, which increased the luminosity.
We then met up later for tea, prior to seeing the film 'Suffragette' - a very powerful film! It received a resounding applause afterwards, which I found most moving. There were parts that were truly spine chilling ... it's incredible to think of women being treated in that manner, and less than 100 years ago!


Ok, time to get ready. Hope you are keeping warm and look forward to chatting this week. Love Rachelx


Let the sun set on Paris ...


Dear All,
Just a final note before I leave. I am now all packed and ready for tomorrow morning's flight. I enjoyed my last weekend which started on Friday at the Louvre, having been influenced by Philip’s enthusiasm. It was, however, quite overwhelming, to say the very least, so I decided to focus mainly on Delacroix and Ingres (as well as a few of their contemporaries), plus relatively recent favourites, namely Degas, Pisarro and Rousseau – a far cry from formulaic art. There were very few visitors, obviously on account of the Paris attacks, which made for more relaxed and unobstructed viewing.


Vicomtesse d'Haussonville - Ingres
Orphan at the Cemetery - Delacroix





















I had my last petit déjeuner at Café St Médard on Saturday, followed by Taizé at St Germain des Près and then a photographic art show in the 15th arrondissement with Debra and Doug. Susanna and I went to church again this morning, followed by coffee in one of our favourite spots, before saying sad goodbyes.

La Méthode

It has been a truly wonderful three months in Paris - a great experience and steep learning curve ... I will miss it, but the void will be amply filled by Philip, St Barts and its beautiful sunshine.